domingo, 27 de fevereiro de 2011

Interjections in English

Here are some interjections with examples:

Source: http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/interjections.htm

ah - expressing pleasure - "Ah, that feels good."
expressing realization "Ah, now I understand."
expressing resignation "Ah well, it can't be heped."
expressing surprise "Ah! I've won!"

alas - expressing grief or pity "Alas, she's dead now."

dear - expressing pity "Oh dear! Does it hurt?"
expressing surprise "Dear me! That's a surprise!"

eh - asking for repetition "It's hot today." "Eh?" "I said it's hot today."
expressing enquiry "What do you think of that, eh?"
expressing surprise "Eh! Really?"
inviting agreement "Let's go, eh?"

er - expressing hesitation "Lima is the capital of...er...Peru."

hello, hullo - expressing greeting "Hello John. How are you today?"
expressing surprise "Hello! My car's gone!"

hey - calling attention "Hey! look at that!"
expressing surprise, joy etc "Hey! What a good idea!"

hi - expressing greeting "Hi! What's new?"

hmm - expressing hesitation, doubt or disagreement "Hmm. I'm not so sure."

oh, o - expressing surprise "Oh! You're here!"
expressing pain "Oh! I've got a toothache."
expressing pleading "Oh, please say 'yes'!"

ouch - expressing pain "Ouch! That hurts!"

uh - expressing hesitation "Uh...I don't know the answer to that."

uh-huh - expressing agreement "Shall we go?" "Uh-huh."

um, umm - expressing hesitation "85 divided by 5 is...um...17."

well - introducing a remark "Well, what did he say?"